A good job description has the following:
- A clear, concise summary of what the company does
- A clear, concise summary of what you would be doing in this job
- Clear, reasonable qualifications for the position / work
- Clear, reasonable responsibilities listed for the position
- No mentions of traits or qualifications that are not concrete (e.g. sense of humor, perseverance, determination…)
A bad job description doesn’t have the above.
“Don’t settle for bad jobs.”–Michael Vinh Xuan Thanh, “How to Spot Toxic Software Jobs From Their Descriptions.” Medium. August 28, 2019.