The Ryan Holiday Reading Recommendation Email is a monthly email “with 5 to 10 amazing books that I read, reviewed and think you’ll like. The goal of the newsletter is to recommend books that stick with you long after you’ve put them down—or better yet, change your life…Each book has a one sentence review along with connections to similar or related books and a thought or two on why I felt the book is important.”
Tired of Powerpoint? Prezi might be worth a try to create more dynamic, interesting presentations.
Orb Media: “Rather than bombarding the public with breaking news while providing little in the way of context, Orb practices proactive journalism. We ask how events may (or may not) fit into a meaningful, global trend. We use today’s digital tools to consider our world as a set of interlocking human and natural systems, rather than a confounding deluge of random events.”
“Every day I get the entire internet compressed into a single page. My first stop is Hvper, which is a super aggregator that collects the top headlines of every news source out there into ONE single page. I see what’s at the top of mind in the both the New York Times and Wall Street Journal, plus HuffPo and Fox News, plus Al Jazeera and the Drudge Report. Plus Reddit, Digg, BuzzNews, Twitter, CNN, ABC, Verge, Wired, and on and on. All of it! The whole news media landscape in a one-page dashboard. Each headline is clickable directly to the source. It is fast, clean (no ads!), free and magical. Must read.” h/t Cool Tools.
Nonprofit Explorer is “a database to view summaries of 3 million tax returns from tax-exempt organizations and see financial details such as their executive compensation and revenue and expenses. You can browse IRS data released since 2013 and access over 9.6 million tax filing documents going back as far as 2001.”
Secure Accounts is comprised of five different modules, each designed to function as a standalone resource on a specific aspect of account security, or as a series, with each module building on one another.
The five modules include:
- Secure Your Accounts: A comic that explains why people should take their account security seriously
- Account Phishing and Civil Society: A brief explanation of what phishing is and two examples of phishing attacks against civil society groups based on recent Citizen Lab research
- 2-step verification in 2-minutes: A comic that explains what 2-step verification is and why it’s important
- Set up 2-step verification now: A collection of links to instructions on how to set up 2-step verification on popular online platforms
- Who could get access?: A app that users humour to highlight how adopting better security habits will mean hackers need more time and skill to break into your accounts